Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sushi night!

We didn't know we were starting a tradition. But we did, and how those little things in a relationship make all the difference.

When my boyfriend and I first started dating -- literally, within the first few days -- we went to this little sushi place in King of Prussia. It was inexpensive, with slow service, scalding hot tea, and pretty good sushi. Later, when I subjected him to (and even later, when he anticipated) watching The Office, sushi grew to Sushi and the Office night. I also subjected him to Grey's Anatomy, which he did not willingly comply with at all, but that's beside the point.

We did that the entire time we spent back East. And when I moved out here, we continued it at an even better sushi place. Now, we're regulars. The waitress knows us, the sushi chef knows us, and I think he's getting a jump start on our order once we walk in, since it seems to come faster. I've never been a regular before, anywhere. It's a nice feeling, particularly in a place that still doesn't have the years-long familiarity I once knew.

It's a reminder of our early dating days; it's a tradition; it's something we can rely on; it's something we've even involved his daughter in (she LOVES it). We've brought family there, and spent nights, just the two of us, enjoying this one little bit of togetherness and ritual. Yes, cold fish CAN bring you closer.

So yeah, I love sushi night. And I'm stoked The Office comes back next week.

1 comment:

Orshi said...

MMM sushi... have dome for me, since I can't for 7 months... oh and welcome back friend, I've been waiting to read your wonderful posts.
PS I have you set up as a favorite...