Friday, February 27, 2009

Ready, set, engage

I am engaged. This comes as no new news to any of the two people who probably read this, but there it is. It's a strange in-between time that is only defined by what precedes and what follows it...and I swear, it's that strange limbo that causes industries to bloom.

To a certain extent, I'm giving in to the wedding industrial complex. I booked a rather fancy venue, I'm getting a pretty traditional style dress (I believe) with a wedding party and a typical Christian ceremony. I'm not doing a terrible bunch of things DIY. Part of what prevents this is planning from afar, which is a frustration in and of itself.

Then again, the inability to control exactly how and when I talk with people is perhaps a lesson I should take to heart. Weddings are not some exercise in independence (though independence is a valuable trait). They are a community event, the gathering of those near and dear, and I realize that to an extent, I need to reach out and realize I can't do it all on my own. I need to talk with my mom and coordinate with my wonderful maid of honor and overall reach out to those who can help me, guide me, advise me. I know this wedding will reflect mine and Russ's tastes, and overall be a celebration of our coming together...but the actual legwork? I definitely need help. And it is an exercise of faith, of trust, of reliance...it's a good parallel of what a marriage is. :)

I will say that after reading apracticalwedding.com, it was like a breath of refreshing sane air. It reminded me that overall, this will be one day that's solely the first day of a marriage, which means so much more. I've been second-guessing so many choices in terms of their "rightness," and what I realized is that the only rightness that matters is what is right for me and Russ.

So bring it on, wedding planning. I'll tackle it all, with lots of help, and a steady head on my shoulders.

1 comment:

Orshi said...

thats why we are here to help, your wedding will be a wonderful event and it will be so you and RUss that you will always cherish it no matter what! :)
Can't wait!