Friday, March 16, 2007

I admit it.

I kinda want to go to this.

Let me explain the evolution of my love (a great song) for Justin Timberlake. It started very, very reluctantly. I wouldn't even buy the album; I asked Sean to (OK, made Sean) burn it for me. He was still the guy from n*Sync! He wasn't even cute!

But then... "Like I Love You," and "Rock Your Body," and "Senorita" slowly wore me down. And really, if you aren't converted by "Cry Me A River," you have no taste, and possibly no soul.

Now even at this point I wasn't a full-on JT fan, though I did feel hip enough to initialize him. I didn't go to the "Justified/Stripped" tour, which may be one of the most egregious mistakes of my post-teenaged youth.

Yet when I heard he was working on a new album, I was a little bit excited. Hmm.

But lo, and hark, and behold, there was the advent of "SexyBack," and anyone who is not compelled to dance when he or she hears that song should really run to the convent or monastery now, or somewhere else where you can be secluded from normal human beings. That song is GENIUS. It doesn't sound like anything else. It doesn't even sound like "Justified" Justin. When that song comes on, I will pretty much stop doing anything else I'm doing at that point, and if I can't break out into dance in the given situation, I will dance IN MY MIND and lament the fact I can't tear up the floor. I've danced in many places to this song -- clubs, bars (many in Europe, at my and Shereen's request/behest), when I'm in line at the store, in my car (well, however you can dance while in the car), when winning a contest at Lucky Cheng's drag restaurant/bar in NYC (eh, if you really want to know what kind of contest it was, ask)...you get the picture.

Oh, FutureSex/LoveSounds, I pre-ordered you on iTunes, and I have no regrets. "My Love"...well, I think Shereen could wax more eloquently about that song. It's good stuff. And "What Goes Around" is a brilliant "Cry Me A River" sequel. I don't care who he says it's about. You don't fool me, JT! You are still haunted by the ghost of Brit-Brit! When she was hot! But yeah, genius. LoveStoned is really fantastic, and I'm surprised more people don't rave about that song. I love it. And he hasn't released it as a single, and probably never will, but the title cut off of that album is damn. sexy. Perhaps he hasn't released it because there would be roughly one million more babies nine months later. JT doesn't want to be responsible for overpopulation, aite?

And as a sidenote, anyone who could actually pull off the sheer ridiculousness of "D*ck in a Box" is stratospherically awesome.

So yeah, I would like to see Justin Timberlake in concert. Anyone want to come with me?

No comments: