Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Loneliness broken.

Today it snowed, and it was gorgeous. It was that pretty, light powdery snow that falls really gently and drapes itself in a lace-like blanket over the evergreens. I watched it through the huge windows, thinking for the very first time that the snow here, when it's like this, is magical.

I've finally pushed past the sadness that's been pushing on me. I attribute my shift in attitude to two people, directly: Matt and Bob. They're both coworkers, and I'm close to both in different ways. Matt is like my more scatterbrained (yet possibly more ambitious) twin; Bob is like my work dad. Matt arrived to Valley Forge yesterday; Bob arrived today. I couldn't have been happier to see them. I'm even tearing up about it. Damned little bottle of pinot grigio...

But see, I'm drinking that little bottle because I'm happy. I'm not one to drown my sorrows, but toast my joy. To finally being OK with being here. To realizing that I need friends and people who care about me, and I need them near me and around me. To getting a whole hell of a lot of work done today, because those friends inspire me to get my butt in gear. To getting everyone together for a delicious dinner at a great restaurant, and handing off my laundry to my extremely gracious ex-boss who's going to take it to the fluff n' fold for me.

There are always things to be happy about, and through the loneliness it's been hard to see those things. But friendship and companionship open your eyes and make you realize that sometimes, snow is beautiful, work can be good, and living in a hotel isn't all that bad of a deal. After all, it is across the street from a great mall. :)

That being said, I can't wait to get home tomorrow. I look forward to temperatures that break 50 degrees, possibly seeing the Pacific Ocean, doing makeovers, seeing my wife, having a prime rib dinner, and riding CalTrain, which would seem a weird thing to anticipate, but when you miss California, you love each and every little train stop, because it reminds you that you're home.

No comments: